Preparations begin to light up Dublin for Christmas
It’s not Halloween yet but savvy shoppers will have spotted that DublinTown have started hanging the festive lights across Dublin’s city centre in preparation for #DublinatChristmas.
Christmas isn’t coming early but DublinTown are busy making sure Dublin looks magical for all to enjoy in time for the official lighting ceremony in November. DublinTown is working in partnership with Dublin City Council on an extravagant event to turn the lights on across the city on Sunday, November 19th.
Over the next 4 weeks the busy DublinTown team will hang and individually test over 1,000,000 lightbulbs and fixtures. With 30 streets to decorate and stretching across 4.5 kilometres of Dublin’s city centre, it takes a DublinTown team of 20 people, working throughout the night, over 200 hours to completely erect the lights over the city for the festive season.
Richard Guiney, CEO of DublinTown, said: “Putting up the Christmas lights in Dublin city centre is the most carefully planned and coordinated operation that we do each year. Through coordination with businesses in the city we identify the most suitable times to put up the Christmas lights.
The lights are officially switched on the same time each year too and this year they will be switched on from November 19th until Saturday, 7th January and we are proud that 25 million people will walk under the Christmas lights this year.
Christmas is a magical time of year and the Dublin city centre has some of the most impressive lights in the country. Last year we were proud to announce that Henry street & Mary street got brand new Christmas lights which will continue to enhance the look of the entire street this festive season. I would encourage everyone to go to town for our Christmas lighting ceremony to experience the magic of Dublin at Christmas.”
DUBLINTOWN – FESTIVE LIGHTS – FACTS AND FIGURES:
- 30 streets in Dublin will be decorated with Christmas lights, stretching over 4.5 kilometres
- It takes 20 people working through the night, over 4 weeks and 200 hours to completely erect all the lights
- Each and every single bulb and fixture will be tested by the DublinTown team
- The lights will be illuminated for over 1,000 hours from November 19th – January 7th
- There are 47,350 individual light bulbs on Grafton Street alone
- There are over 1,000,000 individual light bulbs hung across the city
- 20 Dublin City Trees will be decorated with lights across Parnell Street and Liffey Street
- Over 10,000 light bulbs will decorate 2 trees on Liffey Street
- 160 crossovers and 26 wall mounts will be used
- Over 150,000 light bulbs will adorn the 3 spectacular light curtains on on Wicklow Street, Andrew Street and Johnson Court
- 25 million people will walk under the Christmas Lights in Dublin City Centre this year alone
- 1 spectacular lighting ceremony event will take place in November 19th to light up the entire city with details being announced soon.
The full programme for DublinatChristmas.ie will be announced in early November including upcoming events, special offers, family fun and much more.
Keep up to date with news about all upcoming Christmas events by using the hashtag #DublinAtChristmas, following @DublinTown on Twitter and visiting @DublinAtChristmas on Facebook.
For everything you wish for, go to Town